Tuesday, September 21, 2010
In Class: Peer workshops
Over the years I have had the opportunity of experiencing peer workshops in my English classes. They never seem to be very beneficial though, usually because my papers are about a subject for an intended audience. The peers think they know something about the topic (their usually wrong) and like to give their opinions on it. Rarely do they actually help structure my essay or give me advise in a positive manner. I would much rather prefer meeting with the teacher to discuss positives and weaknesses in my papers. Their input seems to be much more beneficial to the revising process. The only thing that I can think of that is good about the peer workshops is that they sometimes catch things that I miss and the more readers the better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, I feel like teachers are able to give better advice than the students, especially because they are the people who come up with the assignment. However, having more readers can help us catch minor mistakes, and get feedback on our work.
ReplyDeleteDavid, You pinpointed the main idea why I completely dislike such peer workshops as well. I really dislike when someone tries to correct something that they know nothing about and when you know that it is absolutely correct. You are right though the more readers the better. You have to benefit from this in some way.
ReplyDeleteI took 10803 from the same professor last year. My experience with peer workshops were bitter sweet. There were a lot of good and bad moments. It really helped me in the second draft though. So, let's hope we can take something positive out of this.
ReplyDelete