Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ethos, Pathos, and Logos of my Public Space

After going to my public space a few times this week I have begun to realize the amount of information that you can get while sitting back and observing. I have ethos, pathos, and logos appeals that will help strengthen my paper while giving the reader a better sense and feel of the area that I am trying to describe.

Ethos: The credibility of a restaurant is huge. If you have it, people will come from miles around to eat and drink there. On the other hand, if you have no credibility, you are probably closing down soon. The Flying Saucer is "cool" because it is different than other bars and restaurants. It is set in a pub style with quality items rather than ones that serve for one purpose, and that would be to get you drunk. The bartenders are very knowledgeable when it comes to these drinks. They know over 200 different beers and do a good job choosing the right one for the right person if the situation arises. Also, the fact that there are so many saucers (those who have drank over 200 different beers) with peoples names on the walls shows that they come back over and over again to have a good time.

Pathos: The Flying Saucer's appeal to emotion might be different for some people. To me, the feeling that I get when walking in is a sense of comfort and welcoming. The colors are not shouting, but rather inviting. There are comfy couches and seats that might belong in a home. If you are not in that type of mood then you can go outside where there is a life band playing on the weekends. Music is a great emotional appeal especially when you know the songs.

Logos: If you were to look at the numbers, you could say that The Flying Saucer is one of the few bars in Fort Worth that serves such a high number of beers. Something that I did before I first knew of  the bar was look at reviews online from those who had previously been. With a really good rating, this helped in my decision to try it out. Lastly, you can make the argument that if you like to try beers from around the country and around the world then you will like The Flying Saucer. This might be a little debatable but I see it more as using reason and common sense than making an assumption.

1 comment:

  1. Your logos appeal is very interesting. I've read most of the blog responses on this subject and you're one of the only ones who mentioned the reviews as they certainly fall under the logos sphere.

    ReplyDelete