For my unit 2 proposal I decided to write about New England Sports Ventures takeover of Liverpool fc from the now owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks. I chose this topic because it is happening right now and there should be plenty of primary sources available. There is also a very big debate going on due to the fact that American owners will be replaced by more Americans. People are worried that the new owners will run the club into the ground like the previous ones did. My primary sources will come mostly from news organizations like Fox Soccer and BBC America but I also intend to use first hand accounts from blogs. Because the event is happening right now, it shouldn't be too difficult distinguishing between primary and secondary sources; I expect almost everything to be primary.
I chose this topic because Liverpool fc is my favorite team and it seemed like a good topic which will have a variety of different styled sources. It should be interesting to look at an American writer's perspective over that of a British one due to the fact that many Brits want nothing to do with American owners and Americans haven't firmly grasped the concept of the values and passions of soccer in England.
I just heard about this recently and I think that this will be good to analyze. Using primarily English sources will be slightly biased I think, so it is important to also look at American sources too, like ESPN. This could also be beneficial for soccer in America and hopefully add some popularity to the game.
ReplyDeleteThis issue will certainly be one with many primary sources. Because it is happening right now there is definitely going to be many primary sources. I would be sure to include a few from that particular area, but since the assignment is to argue for statements made in America, i don't know if this would work?
ReplyDelete